Wednesday 15 January 2014

Then they say, "Don't judge me!!"

dont judge me
 
Title: Don't judge me
Whether you are religious or not you have more than likely come across the phrase "Don't judge me!" It is often used by individuals who feel as though others are viewing themselves as being more righteous than them. For many Christians it has become a smoke screen against correction. It is very important to be able to distinguish between the two. If you'd allow me, let us explore this phrase.
Origin of statement:
No one can really say when this phrase was first used. However it is drawn from the scriptures:
Mark 7:1 1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Luke 6:41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
John 8:7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
Romans 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
Others include Rom 14:10, Rom 14:13 Luke 6:37 and 1 Cor 4:5

Context:
If you read carefully, all these scriptures were directed at self-righteous believer who were faulting other believer in the same areas that they were failing. Jesus tells the one that has not sinned to cast the first stone! From the verse we can derive the proper context of that statement. A judge is one that weighs evidence against and accused and decides if they are guilty or innocent. Now imagine taking a known murderer and having him be the judge of a murder case. That would be preposterous, and unimaginably hypocritical. That is the essence of not judging, for we all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. However, take a second scenario: If I see you walking on a path that I know to be slippery and warn you that you will fall, am I being judgemental? Absolutely not! There is no element of me being better than you. I did not say that you are doing a wrong thing, I simply pointed out a possible outcome of you actions. Furthermore a judge also renders a verdict, which in this case I do not.
I say judge me please:
If I was going the wrong way on a road that you know and you didn’t notify me I would be absolutely livid when I find out that you knew all along. Perhaps if you tell me I will rebuke you and get made, it is in human nature to want to always be right. However no matter how adamant I am that I am going the right way, your comments will make me re-examine my path. And if I choose to ignore you warning and continue until I fall, the blame is all mine. However, if you do not warn me, the blame is also on you.
Scriptural reference:
Pro 27:17 “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Galatians 6:1-2 “Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
James 5:19-20 “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
Gentle correction:
Galatians 6:1-2 is the scripture that should teach all those who are found to be judgemental. Correction ought to be gentle and done in love. It should not be done in public or in a place that could bring ridicule to another person. Furthermore, correcting someone does not make you right. As believers we ought to remain coach-able throughout our walk with Christ, we never know who he uses to minister to us. The bible recounts how he has used the least among us. He surely uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. You may be 88% good at something and someone else may be 68% good at the same thing. If they pointed out where you are wrong, you should not ignore their advice because you are better than they are. For their 68% knowledge may include some of the 12% that you lack.
Closing:

Mat 18:15-17 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone…

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Especially the part about "Gentle Correction". So grateful for the reminder to walk in love. God is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for you comment.

Be advised, all comments are moderated before being published.